PostEra

Niclosamide SAR

Dear PostEra COVID project organisers,

Probably already on the radar, but I noticed the recently reported niclosamide hit with anti-MERS-CoV efficacies in Vero cells (not yet peer reviewed pre-print, https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.25.965582v2)

Tempting to hypothesise a binding mode for the the N-phenylbenzamide scaffold of Niclosamide similar to e.g. the benzamide (X_0678) and (di)phenylurea (X_0434) scaffolds.

Obviously early days as the work still has to be peer reviewed, there is not information on the actual mode of action and/or protein target. Furthermore appreciating that recognising simple substructures between hits and assuming they bind in a similar manner can be rather deceiving.

Desipte these and other caveats perhaps nevertheless some suggestions to e.g.:

• Consider niclosamide for X-ray crystallography by Frank von Delft/Diamond Lightsource team
  • Explore simple SAR around the putative niclosamide hit (see some of the designs proposed under CHR-SOS-709)
    as this can be helpful to provide more confidence in this preliminary binding mode hypothesis that niclosamide may (also) bind the protease target and to help prioritise/customise/extend the scope in subsequent iterative ligand design rounds.

Many thanks for your feedback,

Chris

1 Like

This is great digging Chris, I hadn’t read through that one yet. I’ve looked over your designs at https://covid.postera.ai/covid/submissions/7098f804-b66c-4fb6-89f4-8e4e0c78a7cb , and quite a few are either purchasable, while the rest are quite easy to make and many in Enamine Real Space – so I think we definitely should prioritize Niclosamide since the SAR could be done easily and relatively cheaply.

I will follow up eventually with comments on that submission itself. Thanks again!

quick note: interesting that the paper lists the putative target as the ATP synthase

In case it’s useful, niclosamide is likely to be predominantly anionic under assay conditions.

1 Like